Friday, June 12, 2009

Low Carb Kick

It is official: I am now, in part, a health nut.

After recently stepping on the scale and discovering that I gained 20 lbs - 10lbs during my volitile relationship and 10lbs after the break-up of said relationship - I have decided enough is enough. There's no way I'm going to sit here and become a blard-o-saurus just because of some stupid boy who broke my heart. To pervert Dorothy's statement as she clicked her dainty heels together, "I will not be a Mack-truck. I will not be a Mack-truck. I will not be a Mack-truck."

I've never really been one for diet and exercise; my metabolism - up to this point - has always been active enough to where I've never needed to do such things. Obviously, those days have come and gone.


In a way, though, this is kind of exciting. I've always wanted to eat/live healthier, so now I have an excuse to summon the motivation to do so. I wanted something that would work fast...and something that is totally new to me, so I opted to try the low carb approach.

And it has been hard. Brutally hard.

Seriously. Normally all that I eat is carbs: bread, pasta, rice, bagles, ugh!!! I WANT IT NOW!!!! :P I could kill for some tortellini...or some chocolate cake.


But no. I resist. I perservere. I carry on - and the pounds do not. In one week, I have already lost 6 lbs just by cutting the extra carbs out of my diet and replacing them with protein and fiber. :D Tilapia, that yummiest and least fishy-tasting of fish, has become my new best friend. Gorton's sells a wonderful butter/garlic dressed variety; it's also killer with just a little bit of salsa on top if you're itching for something spicy. Pair it with some "Simply Steamed" seasoned veggies and, dear Lord, I'm in diet heaven. It's really not too bad!


I'm trying to keep my carb count to 20 g net, a la Atkins, at least for the first two weeks (though I must confess, if I go a couple over I'm not going to have a heart attack). To help stave off my carb cravings, I'm looking into a baking alternative: almond flower. Only about 2 net carbs per 1/4 cup of flour..which means I could have LOTS and LOTS of cookies to get me through! Or muffins...or cake...

If you're feeling moisture flying at you from across the screen, please forgive me. I'm salivating pretty intensely at this juncture.


Newest Wish List Item:

To steal a line from the Beatles: "I WANT YOU! I WANT YOU SOOOOO BAD!!!"

The catch: sugar creates carbs too...so I will see if I can use splenda/other yummy substitutes and still get the effect I desire. Who knows? If I find anything particularly yummy - even if its outside of the realm of baked goods - I may just post the recipe here!


I'll keep you posted: in the meantime, I'm off to eat some chicken and broccoli! Yum! Toodles!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Instead of looking into low carb diets, look into low glycemic carbs.

Its a healthier and more doable diet.

To tell you the truth, exercise is so much more worth it. After my break up with Alex, I just made it a point to go work out. Especially when he and kim started dating, I would go out swimming every night they had a date. Lol.

It worked and I lost 20 lbs that summer...

Have fun with the diet =p I'm joining you in the healthy lifestyle arena (though I typically eat healthier than you'd imagine).